Monday, December 12, 2005

And On, And On, And....


Son's socks are done, and the last gift scarf is about 12" from being finished. The itty-bitty earrings for DD are done--just have to put them on earring wires, and the last bag is being felted. What am I going to knit now? That's what a friend asked me today. I suddenly became tongue-tied. For a few seconds I really couldn't think of what I would knit now that Christmas knitting is almost done. I thought, "maybe that's it for me...the last hurrah, the final knit bit, the exit FO." Then it hit me, I have one lime green sock done and another cast-on, there is the sweater that will be a shawl if I listen to its pleadings, and there is the whirly-curly scarf that has been on the needles for what seems like forever. Yes indeed, there is plenty to knit after this! Boy am I relieved! My whole life passed before my eyes.

Have you ever thought about what you would do it you didn't knit? I really don't know what I would do. No, not crochet! Needlepoint maybe. Read definitely. But life certainly wouldn't be the same! How could I ever watch TV again? What would I do for socks? Buy them? Surely not! And most of all, what would I do with all that yarn. Yeah, that's it--it's the yarn that keeps me knitting, and if I'm going to keep knitting until I run out of yarn, I'm going to live a v-e-r-y long time! And that's okay with me.

No comments: