Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Little Fishy

My friend Wendy, of Wendy’s Intertwinements, sent me a gift sock fish. I love it! It is so...me. It is perfect for a skein of sock yarn. He will hang on my jeans belt loop or ride with his head sticking out of my bag, and carry my current sock project, which always goes where I go. He also has pockets under each fin for sock knitting accoutrements or glasses. Wendy made “Sock Fishy” from a pattern she got here. I went to the site, and immediately fell in love with the great row counters, among other things. Take a look.

I have been struggling with stash storage. Could it be that I have too much yarn? Frankly, I never considered that possibility. What, exactly, is too much yarn? Is there such a thing as too much? I have friends who frequently divest themselves of “extra” skeins of yarn. They trade yarn or, and this is the mind-boggling part to me, OR they give it away or sell it. MY BABIES!! How could I sell my babies? These are skeins that I have stroked and nurtured for years. I might someday knit something from them, but that is not essential to the purchase of yarn (some of it that is). Which brings me to the realization that, for me, some yarn purchases have very little to do with the probability of use. I do buy certain yarns for specific projects, but just as often I buy yarn because it feels good, is soft, is a pretty color, and/or speaks to me (see previous post). I know, I know, that’s just plain crazy. I try hard not to do it, and may succeed for months—okay, weeks. I’m hopeless.

Now I have to pay for my impulsiveness by wondering what I will do with all those cute little skeins of yarn rolling around my knitting room. Once before I suggested the possibility that they are multiplying in their various baskets and containers, but that didn’t impress DH, and I don’t think it will work here either. So, I bought that little pink thingy in the picture, but it doesn’t hold nearly enough. I think I need a trip to Ikea for shelf units! BIG shelf units! My hubby would say, “Just stop buying yarn.”

That doesn’t work for me….

3 comments:

wendy said...

I'm glad you like your fishy...Plastic boxes seem to be working here for storing yarn with a baggy of lavender for the buggies to "bug off". So far so good.

Anonymous said...

wow!! that is a lot of yarns!!! ^_^

Carol said...

I took out the closet stuff in the guest room and put up shelves. Much tidier. Hubby said the same thing though.."why do you buy the yarn if you aren't going to use it immediately?" He doesn't get it....sigh...