Wednesday, July 06, 2011

A Half Dozen Reasons To Shed Tears While On Vacation

                                                                   My next sweater

It was the best of times it was the worst of times...I've always wanted to have reason to use that lead-in and this is it.  I can state with certainty that a grandson's wedding is the best but I can't deny that losing my wallet is the worst.
 
#1 - Can a wedding be anything other than beautiful?  My sweet grandson and his beautiful bride had a simple, outdoor wedding with trees swaying in the breeze, gauze drapes blowing around the pergola, and flower scents sweetly wafting on the air.  The thick grass carpet was strewn with rose petals and the bride's gown and upswept hair were enough to make even the groom shed tears.  How's that for a reason to get teary?

#2 - An hour and fifteen minutes out of Chicago I apparently left my wallet/clutch at a truck stop, and didn't notice it was missing until the next day.  The tears were flowing, not just from my eyes but DD and DH were looking misty-eyed as well.  There were credit cards, money a bunch of money, drivers license, Social Security Card, insurance cards, and other things like medication and keys.  The only thing that usually resides in that clutch that was missing was my phone.  I still have my phone.  After two days of cancelling credit cards, dealing with identification, refilling prescriptions and copying keys, my final thought on the situation was, "I wish someone would just give me back my Coach clutch!!  I cried again!

#3 - Visiting with grandchildren who we do not see regularly (they are good about communicating though) is a tear worthy event!  They are growing and changing in such a beautiful way and we are so proud of the people they are becoming that the tears just flow freely when they are around.  I want more of them--more of their smiles and hugs and faces and voices!  Leaving them is like tearing my heart out.

#4 - Having grown children say, "We want to travel with you because we don't get to spend enough time with you," then having them make all the arrangements and thoroughly enjoy the trip (and Mom and Dad) is enough to make a mother cry big tears of joy and love.

#5 - Realizing that time (and aging) has made traveling a tiring event requires acceptance that does not come without tears.  I'm not old mind you, but getting in and out of a big RV, loading and unloading, packing and unpacking and repacking--well, if you are over 40 it is tiring!  I'm over 40.  It makes me feel like crying to realize that long trips are not the adventure they used to be.

#6 - Leaving.  Coming home.  Going away from loved ones knowing you will not see them again for a while.  I can't seem to do it without tears.  We hugged each one and kissed each sweet face and every hug and kiss became a promise for the future.  When I think of that promise I get tears in my eyes, but life is good!!

6 comments:

SusanB-knits said...

I be teary eyed at all of them! I cry at weddings, cry when we leave the grandkids, cry at sad movies, and I'd definitely be crying if I lost my wallet.
I'm glad you're home safe and had a good trip (except for the tears).

kathy b said...

Oh, I am so happy that our trip was family fantastic. Losing the wallet, and all....was blech....
but the real point of life is family and you are rich in family.
and pretend friendS!

Katherine said...

Thanks Susan! It was a good trip and I can't wait to go back. It's tough to leave those sweet people!

Katherine said...

Sweet Kathyb,
You are so right--we are rich in family and our pretend friends are a big part of that!

Nancy said...

I'm an idealist and as I read this post I kept thinking some honest individual had contacted you and returned your wallet. Reality offers a much different outcome.

The wedding scene you described was beautiful - definitely a highlight of your trip.

Lulu said...

oh my Lord, iam sorry that happened to you...Its horrible when you lose all that stuff in your wallet, a pain and just terrible..
take care,