Thursday, June 04, 2015

Once Upon a Time


A few days ago I found a couple of old journals from when I was a young knitter.  VERY young!  I even fancied myself to be a budding knit pattern designer.  Clearly, I branched out to other things.  Anyway, I did a lot of knitting experimentation and some of it worked out like the ruffled shawl I still wear. 

In thinking about my long-ago dream of being a designer I realized that if it had been fulfilled it might have killed my passion for knitting.  When I sit down to knit I don’t want it to be a job, and I don’t even like the marketing side of my real job.  I am happy to let someone else take care of that!  If I had to do all that in addition to my knitting it would make it a chore.   
Some of the sketches in the journals are not bad!  Not great, but not bad either.  It’s fun to revisit youthful dreams.

Once upon a time I cooked dog food for both of our dogs.  The vet thought they had the tendency to gain weight on home cooked food so he advised us to put them on a weight control diet of dry kibble.  Since that time both dogs have had allergies, itching and scratching and runny eyes.   
Yesterday when we took Macy to the vet for just such a problem he said that maybe we should put them back on the home cooked food because they were both healthier then.  Hmmmm. 

Once upon a time I started a pullover that was supposed to be a quick and easy knit.  That was 6 months ago but I finally finished last night.  I admit that tax season delayed the completion somewhat, but still that’s a long time for a short, ¾ sleeve sweater.  Next time I’ll look for the fast and speedy pattern….
This week we had bird visitors from the Tufted Titmouse family
and an immature Cardinal.

Life is good.
 




4 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

At least the vet was honest enough to admit the bad call. . .and Max & Macy will enjoy some tasty food again.

Ah yes, the dreams of youth. Isn't it amazing how we venture down other paths.

kathy b said...

Well I for one, will be making your shawl for sure! Your pattern notes are Fun!

It is funny how what we think we'll enjoy as a job/interest/hobby can change .......

Sorry the pups have allergies. I have never seen a tufted titmouse! Hooray for you!

I love your finished cream top, too.

It is great to see your posts again~

kathy b said...

Well I for one, will be making your shawl for sure! Your pattern notes are Fun!

It is funny how what we think we'll enjoy as a job/interest/hobby can change .......

Sorry the pups have allergies. I have never seen a tufted titmouse! Hooray for you!

I love your finished cream top, too.

It is great to see your posts again~

elns said...

Health: humans and pets it's a lot of process of elimination eh?

I love the bird photos. You are so lucky to see such kinds of birds everywhere.

I have no desire to design, because I don't really possess that kind of natural creative artistic talent. I admire it in others, however I'm with you. I don't want knitting to be "work" anymore than it already feels to finish a project I'm slightly over or you know, that second sock, ha!

The pullover looks really polished! I have to tell you, I have to stop believing and uttering the words "quick easy knit". haha! I seem to sabotage those words all the time. Excellent work!