Thursday, March 30, 2006

Earmuffs For Cars


When the man next door saw us putting earmuffs on the side mirrors of our new car it prompted him to say, “Awww, how cute. You really love that car don’t you?” I answered, “Yes, we really do, but you see all of the bird droppings down the side doors of your car? You’ll notice there are none on ours.” He looked long and hard and asked, “Why is that?” I explained that the resident male Cardinal, who lives in the tree between our houses, loves to admire himself in the car mirrors during the early morning hours. While sitting on the window edge of the door, he pecks at the bird in the mirror, and drops little packages of appreciation down the side of the door. “Where did you get those covers?’ he asked. I told him I knitted them, and of course, he asked if I could make him some. Now there is a Christmas gift for the neighbors--car earmuffs.

I didn’t really knit them as earmuffs for the car. These are a project gone south—totally off beam. The useful covers are, I confess, my first try at knitting socks from many years ago. I was so happy to have actually created a heel flap and gusset that I didn’t notice that they were more than just large. Then, I just couldn’t throw them away, and no one in our family has feet that big (I’m talking really gigantic), not even our 6 ft. 6 in. son. So, when Sir Cardinal started demolition on our new car, I marched outside and slid the big foot covers on the side mirrors. He never came back. He's too busy working on the neighbor's car. There’s a way if there’s a will! Life is good….

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Totally terrific! You have created a whole new knitting category.

Anonymous said...

Those are just TOO COOL!