Monday, April 15, 2013

It Was Never Like This!


We spent a few hours at the Arboretum on Saturday evening, taking pictures of our granddaughter and her friends as they left for the Junior/Senior Prom at their school.  It brought back memories and at the same time created a time warp that gave me a chance to compare yesterday and today.  No contest!!  These kids are so savvy, bright, high tech and advanced that my memories of my day in the sun pale by comparison! (Granddaughter was so smart she wore silver sequined Converse shoes under her pink gown).

I watched them interact, laughing easily, conversing about school and dates and sports.  There was none of the jargon and slang that peppered our conversations.  The girls and boys talked effortlessly, and didn’t resort to cliquish groups—girls on one side of the area and boys on the other.  They gathered easily and chatted like equals, making me believe that their evening would be more fun than anything I ever experienced as a teenager.  Where do these kids come from, another planet?  I wish I could bottle and sell their glow and that enthusiasm for life. 
 
Maybe I have simply forgotten how it was when I was their age but I don’t think that’s it!  I think these kids are the brightest and the best.  One thing is certain though I KNOW I didn’t drive to the prom in anything like THIS…

She talked her mom into letting her use mom’s car.  I told you she was good!!
And the knitting goes on…











3 comments:

kathy b said...

Awwww, it is getting to be that time of year eh?

SHe looks well, amazing and beautiful. Thanks for the sharing and I too think they are a great generation!!

SissySees said...

What a beauty!! Love the dress. I've seen two large group prom photos (the other from here in VA) and I'm impressed by how mature they all look.

Nancy said...

I always loved to see students dressed in their formal attire. Many girls wore sneakers or at least took them to the dance so they could be comfortable.

No lovely arboretum around here for photos, so a photographer was hired to take photos at the dance. Fun memories.