Tuesday, November 22, 2005

It's A Done Deal

We finally bought a car--a Chevrolet Malibu Maxx SS. It's a fun car to drive with good pick-up, great breaking, all around airbags and curtains, and lots of goodies we hadn't even thought about. Best of all, the ride is so smooth that I can knit without being jostled about.

So glad that's over and I can get on to more important things like knitting, and Thanksgiving! I'm really looking forward to Thanksgiving. Ours is not going to be on Thursday. We have a family of nurses and firefighters who all have to work on Thursday. The rest of the family is in Chicago, and while I wish we could be with them or they with us, I guess it's not going to happen this year. So here is the meeting and eating line-up: Friday we have dinner with SIL's father and his wife, and Saturday our Dallas son is making a gourmet dinner, which he does every few years. What a treat!!!! I don't have to cook at all!!!! (Yes, that deserves three blog's worth of exclamation points!). I plan to sit in front of a roaring fire with feet up and knit--in between helping in the kitchen, and helping to serve and clean up. Some things never change.

You all know that it's not about the food. It's all about family. Although the food becomes about family very quickly. I was telling a friend today that my Mother always made fruitcakes for Christmas. She would make them in early November, wrap them and pour whiskey all over them, and let them "steep" until the week before Christmas. We would all joke about the fact that we hated the cake, so we would wring out the whiskey soaked wrappings, drink it and throw away the fruitcake. But the truth of it is that right around this time of year I start craving fruitcake--and I hate the stuff. I guess what I really crave is time with Mother, baking and joking, and waiting with anticipation for Christmas with the family. This time of year life is better than good--life is spectacular!

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you and your families.

No comments: